Jump to Content
News & Seminars >
- Hodgson Russ among 200 largest law firms headquartered in U.S.
— NEW YORK - Hodgson Russ now ranks as the 184th largest U.S. law firm, according to a survey published by the National Law Journal. The Firm moved up from its previous ranking of 205th.
- Alice A. Joseffer a panelist on Circular 230 teleconference
— BUFFALO - The teleconference addressed the impact of the new IRS regulations amending Circular 230 practice standards for corporate tax executives and in-house tax counsel.
- Pamela Davis Heilman honorary chair of Girl Scouts annual campaign
— BUFFALO - This campaign will provide funding for programs, financial assistance for girls in need, recruiting and training of Girl Scout leaders, and maintenance and upgrades for camp facilities.
- Jodyann Galvin a presenter at NYSBA employment litigation seminar
— BUFFALO - Ms. Galvin addressed nuts-and-bolts litigation preparation issues such as drafting papers, confidentiality issues, deciding what relief to request, and more.
- S. Robert Schrager a fellow of NY Bar Foundation
— NEW YORK - The New York Bar Foundation is dedicated to aiding charitable and educational projects to meet the law-related needs of the public and the legal profession.
- Lance J. Madden and Carol A. Fitzsimmons presenters at cross-border seminar
— TORONTO - Mr. Madden and Ms. Fitzsimmons provided a case study analysis of U.S. business, tax, and immigration issues for Canadian businesses considering expansion into the United States.
- Hodgson Russ attorneys lead Firm volunteer efforts for Kids Voting
— BUFFALO - The annual program fosters a commitment to voting for children in grades K through 12.
- Mark A. Harmon a presenter at Securities Transfer Association conference
— NEW YORK - Mr. Harmon presented transfer agent litigation case studies to assist agents in recognizing potential exposures reducing the risk of litigation.
- James M. Wadsworth receives Red Jacket Award
— BUFFALO - The annual award recognizes an individual’s devotion to civic progress and impact on enhancing awareness of our regional heritage.
- Sujata Yalamanchili receives 40 Under Forty award
— BUFFALO - Ms. Yalamanchili was recognized for her outstanding achievements as well as her commitment to the community.
- Jeffrey C. Stravino president of Harvard-Radcliffe Club of WNY
— BUFFALO - The organization provides networking and educational opportunities for Harvard graduates in the Western New York area.
- Paul R. Comeau elected to Business Council of New York State board of directors
— BUFFALO - The Business Council of New York State is a statewide organization that advocates public policies to improve the business climate.
- Garry M. Graber a speaker at 30th annual UB Law alumni convocation
— BUFFALO - Mr. Graber addressed the implications of the Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act of 2005.
- Hodgson Russ attorney Jack Trachtenberg elected to Community Music School board of trustees
— Founded in 1924, Community Music School of Buffalo is committed to providing musical public service programs to Western New York and quality music instruction for individuals of all ages and levels of ability.
- Hodgson Russ attorneys chair Bar Association of Erie County committees
— Garry M. Graber is the chair of the Bylaws Committee and Jeffrey W. Stone is the chair of the Municipal & School Law Committee.
- Hodgson Russ partners Alice A. Joseffer and Kevin K. Gluc speakers at meeting for financial planners
— In their presentation, Ms. Joseffer and Mr. Gluc addressed the Internal Revenue Service’s recent changes to the law regarding tax advice, including written opinions and communications prepared by attorneys, accountants, and financial planners.
- Hodgson Russ partner A. Joseph Scott III a panelist at NYSBA affordable housing seminar
— Mr. Scott was a member of a panel that addressed issues related to real property tax and negotiating pilot agreements for professionals from many disciplines involved in affordable housing and community development.
- Hodgson Russ partner Garry M. Graber chair of NYSBA bankruptcy seminar panel
— The seminar addressed many issues related to the sweeping changes brought to the federal bankruptcy laws by the Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act of 2005.
- Hodgson Russ a sponsor of United Way Emerging Leaders Society
— The ELS provides educational and networking opportunities for leadership donors under 45, including management seminars, board leadership training, and other events. Nine Hodgson Russ attorneys and staff members are current members of the ELS.
- Hodgson Russ partner Garry M. Graber leads commercial insolvency workshop
— Mr. Graber’s hands-on workshop provided crucial fundamentals and practical information about U.S. bankruptcy law and cross-border issues for Canadian lawyers representing companies doing business in the United States.
- Hodgson Russ announces members of board of directors
— Todd M. Joseph, Rick W. Kennedy, and Benjamin M. Zuffranieri have been elected to the board. Mario J. Papa and John J. Zak were re-elected. Gary M. Schober and Paul R. Comeau, as president and chair of the Firm, respectively, are also board members.
- Hodgson Russ partner Pamela D. Heilman honored at Girl Scouts Women of Distinction dinner
— Ms. Heilman has devoted substantial time to promoting women in international business and advancing the status of women in Western New York. Women of Distinction is a national Girl Scouts of the USA program that recognizes the achievements of women.
- Hodgson Russ attorneys achieve victory for Cassadaga Valley Central School District
— A recent decision by the New York State Division of Human Rights found that a 1991 reassignment of three high school teachers to middle school teaching responsibilities did not constitute age or sex discrimination on the part of the district.
- Hodgson Russ partner Alice A. Joseffer a speaker at Cleveland tax seminar
— Ms. Joseffer’s presentation, entitled “Living With Circular 230: The New Rules,” addressed the Internal Revenue Service’s recent changes to the law regarding tax advice, including written opinions and communications prepared by tax professionals.
- Hodgson Russ attorney John A. Alessi a speaker at SU public finance seminar
— Mr. Alessi’s presentation, “Rightsizing Your Financing,” served as a guide to different types of financing for public improvements.
- Hodgson Russ announces new president and CEO Gary M. Schober
— Mr. Schober, who has been with Hodgson Russ for more than 25 years, has a long tenure of diverse management responsibilities in the Firm. He has participated in many vital aspects of the Firm’s strategic growth and success.
- Hodgson Russ partner Harry G. Meyer program chair of NYSBA Real Property Law Section summer meeting
— Mr. Meyer gave a presentation entitled “Unauthorized Practice of Law Developments in New York State.” Hodgson Russ Chair Paul R. Comeau was also a featured speaker at the seminar.
- Attorneys From New York City Firm Bondy & Schloss Join Hodgson Russ
— The twenty-one additional attorneys, who practice in the areas of corporate and securities, litigation, real estate, trusts and estates, and immigration, will add depth to Hodgson Russ, whose attorneys practice in all major areas of business law.
- Hodgson Russ partner Pamela D. Heilman elected treasurer of Canadian American Business Council
— Ms. Heilman is one of the lead lawyers in Hodgson Russ’s cross-border Canada/U.S. practice and regularly counsels Canadian organizations and businesses considering expansion into the United States.
- Hodgson Russ partner Robert N. Gottfried speaks at UN, St. John's University, and USCIS
— Mr. Gottfried has 27 years of immigration law experience in the New York City area. His clients are individuals and corporations, including an international biotech company, an international airline, and hospitals.
- Hodgson Russ partners Lance J. Madden and Carol A. Fitzsimmons presenters at CASC seminar
— The presentation provided a case study analysis of U.S. business, tax, and immigration issues for Canadian businesses considering expansion into the United States.
- Hodgson Russ attorney Timothy P. Noonan earns Up and Coming Attorney award
— Mr. Noonan is one of eight Western New York attorneys to be honored this year for demonstrating excellence in the legal profession along with a strong commitment to the community.
- Hodgson Russ's Albany office moves to high-profile location at newly completed 677 Broadway
— The move coincides with the Firm’s 15-year anniversary of serving the Albany business community.
- Hodgson Russ partner Ranjana Kadle speaks at Lab to Market series seminar
— The seminar was part of the Lab to Market series of intellectual property seminars, sponsored by the New York State Science and Technology Law Center at Syracuse University College of Law and the University at Buffalo.
- Hodgson Russ receives WNY Wellness Works grant
— Hodgson Russ was one of 13 companies and institutions selected to share the $1 million grant from the University at Buffalo School of Public Health Professions.
- Hodgson Russ a sponsor of CCCA National Spring Conference
— The conference, entitled “Corporate Counsel and the Global Village: Meeting the Challenges of Doing Business Beyond Our Borders,” was attended by more than 290 people. Several Hodgson Russ attorneys lectured at the conference.
- Hodgson Russ partner Garry M. Graber a panelist at WNY Bankruptcy Conference
— The conference was sponsored by the Erie Institute of Law and the Monroe County Bar Association. Mr. Graber was a member of a panel entitled “Corporate Governance and Ethics.”
- Hodgson Russ partner Hugh M. Russ speaks at NYSBA damages-at-trial seminar
— Mr. Russ demonstrated helpful techniques for cross-examining an expert economist hired by the plaintiff to give testimony regarding the monetary amount of damages sought. He also authored a section of the seminar materials on this topic.
- Hodgson Russ partner Bonnie A. Redder elected to Theatre of Youth board of directors
— Founded in 1972, Theatre of Youth is a professional company of adult actors who perform for young audiences. TOY strives to instill and nurture in young people an appreciation for live theater as a stimulating cultural experience.
- Hodgson Russ presents seminars for tax practitioners and in-house counsel
— A variety of topics of interest to certified public accountants and in-house counsel were covered. The presenters were Hodgson Russ partners.
- Hodgson Russ partner David A. Farmelo elected chair of National School Boards Association Council of School Attorneys
— The Council of School Attorneys is a membership organization of over 3,000 attorneys nationwide who work to improve the practice of school law and thereby reduce the impact of adverse legal decisions on the resources of public schools.
- Hodgson Russ to present Cross-Border IP Strategies Seminar in Burlington, Ont.
— The seminar will address the latest developments in intellectual property law and the U.S. marketplace for expanding Canadian businesses. Several members of Hodgson Russ’s Intellectual Property & Technology Practice Group will speak at the seminar.
- Hodgson Russ President Robert B. Conklin honored by Buffalo Law Review
— Mr. Conklin was honored in recognition of his service to the University at Buffalo Law School and the Western New York community at the 16th annual Buffalo Law Review dinner.
- Hodgson Russ partner Ellen V. Weissman a speaker at American Health Lawyers Association seminar
— The annual AHLA Institute on Medicare and Medicaid Payment Issues, which included sessions on more than 50 topics, is considered to be the premier national conference on Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement issues.
- Hodgson Russ partner Benjamin M. Zuffranieri a co-chair of Hamilton Law Assn cross-border seminar
— The seminar addressed topics such as international arbitration, enforcement of foreign judgments, cross-border issues in class-action lawsuits, and more. Mr. Zuffranieri gave a lecture entitled “Enforcement of Forum Selection Clauses.”
- Hodgson Russ attorney Deborah L. Kelly a member of NYSBA delegation to Cuba
— Ms. Kelly was one of 19 New York State Bar Association delegates who made the trip to conduct research on the Cuban legal system and its institutions.
- Hodgson Russ partner Pamela D. Heilman inducted into WNY Women's Hall of Fame
— Ms. Heilman was one of five women honored this year for the ways in which they have enriched the community and inspired other women to succeed.
- Hodgson Russ associates admitted to New York State Bar
— Delia D. Cadle, Cynthia A. Giganti, Elizabeth A. Holden, Britta L. Lukomski, Stephen P. McAndrew, Kyle C. Reeb, Zeus N. Shaikh, and Jessica S. Wiltse were recently admitted to the New York State Bar.
- Hodgson Russ partner Richard L. Weisz a speaker at Broome County Bar Association bankruptcy seminar
— Mr. Weisz was also on the advisory committee for the American Bar Association’s inaugural Bench & Bar Bankruptcy Conference, held March 10-12 in Washington, D.C.
- Hodgson Russ attorneys author CCH's 2005 Canadian Companion to 1040 Preparation and Planning
— The book is an extensive treatise on the U.S. tax rules and filing obligations that apply to Canadians. Now in its fifth edition, the Canadian Companion is published by CCH Inc., a leading publisher of tax and business law information.
- Hodgson Russ partner Alice A. Joseffer a speaker at OBA cross-border tax update
— Ms. Joseffer’s presentation at the Ontario Bar Association Taxation Law Section’s recent Cross-Border Update addressed the topic “Canadian Issues Arising Out of the American Job Creations Act.”
- Hodgson Russ partner Pamela Davis Heilman a participant at American Assembly cross-border meeting
— The assembly on “U.S.-Canada Relations” brought together past, current, and future leaders and decision-makers in government, academia, business, law, and the media to make specific, workable policy recommendations.
- Hodgson Russ partners involved in Leadership Buffalo programs
— Hodgson Russ LLP partner Jeffrey F. Swiatek, Esq., has been accepted to Leadership Buffalo’s Class of 2005. Kevin K. Gluc, Esq., also a partner at the Firm, will graduate from Leadership Buffalo’s Rising Leaders program on April 1.
- Hodgson Russ partners moderate, speak at UB SOMAA tax seminar
— Alice A. Joseffer was a featured speaker recently at a seminar entitled “The Top Ten: Tax Essentials for 2005.” Sujata Yalamanchili was moderator of the program, which was sponsored by the University at Buffalo’s School of Management Alumni Association.
- Hodgson Russ partner Mark S. Klein the contributing editor of CCH's 2005 Guidebook to New York State Taxes
— The guidebook, which is now available, offers concise explanations of current legislative, regulatory, judicial, and administrative developments affecting New York State and New York City taxation.