Hodgson Russ’s multidisciplinary insurance coverage team provides a full range of services across the country, including on litigating coverage actions, reviewing claims to evaluate liability and exposure, analyzing coverage issues to assist in resolving claims, and providing proactive and strategic recommendations.
When litigation is necessary, we excel in shaping cases for favorable disposition, principally through motions for summary judgment, mediation, and other cost-effective means. We have secured summary judgments in major coverage litigations throughout the United States.
In cases where summary judgment is inappropriate, we are ready to try our coverage cases—and our adversaries know it. Our attorneys have played leading roles in complex, high-profile insurance-coverage cases across the nation.
Recognizing that insurance disputes often involve companies with which our clients have ongoing business relationships, we always aim to provide representation that is optimally effective without adversely affecting the relationships our clients have with their business partners. We are also sensitive to public-relations issues and are proficient in helping to preserve and protect our clients’ public images.
Outside the adversarial context, we work side by side with claims and underwriting professionals to draft policy forms and endorsements with a view toward clarity, market penetration, and likely judicial interpretations. We recognize that a business solution is often the best result for the client and regularly counsel clients on avoiding litigation by developing strategic positions and negotiating aggressively in the early stages of a dispute.
We have extensive experience analyzing and litigating in lines that include directors and officers liability, environmental liability, errors and omissions, fiduciary liability, general liability, health care coverage, and professional liability.
Hodgson Russ’s team devises creative, sound solutions in disputes involving:
- Advertising and personal injury
- Accounting malpractice
- Architectural malpractice
- Bad-faith and extra-contractual damages
- Carbon monoxide
- Chemical and petroleum contamination
- Construction defects
- Employee-benefits liability
- Employment practices
- Engineering malpractice
- Excess- and umbrella-insurance issues
- Hazardous waste
- Lead paint
- Leaking underground storage tanks
- Legal malpractice
- Long-tail exposure
- Media and entertainment
- Product defects
- Securities class and derivative actions
- Sexual-molestation claims
- $2.5 Million Summary Judgment Victory for Insurance Company Client
- Complex Transaction for Manufacturer Creates Framework For Commercial Development of Site
- Counseled Insurer on Scope of Coverage Available for Cyber Claim Involving Customer Information Theft
- Defended Insurer in Coverage Claim, Obtained $2.5 Million Reimbursement for Client
- Favorable Settlement for National Insurance Company
- Helped Clarify Principles Governing Notice Under Primary and Excess Insurance Policies
- Negotiated $69 Million Settlement of D&O and Insurance Coverage Preference Actions
- No-Cause Verdict in $100 Million Coverage Case Affirmed
- Represented EPL Insurer in Lawsuit Against CGL Insurer for Defense Cost Reimbursement
- Represented Retailer in Submission of Cyber Insurance Claim, Demand for Indemnification
- New York, NY, January 23, 2014