Areas of Practice
- New York
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
B.S., biology, Lock Haven University of Pennsylvania
Ph.D., molecular biology, University at Buffalo, State University of New York
J.D., cum laude, SUNY Buffalo Law School
John’s practice includes patent and opinion work, and strategic development and management of patent portfolios. He focuses on molecular biology, genetics, and immunology, with emphasis on complex immunotherapies, cancer biology, and therapeutics and diagnostics for a wide range of human and non-human animal disorders. Prior to law school, John was a teaching assistant in the University at Buffalo Department of Biology. He also developed and taught courses in cell and molecular biology in the University at Buffalo’s School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences post baccalaureate program, which is designed to expand the pool of underrepresented, economically and educationally disadvantaged students in medical school. John finished his graduate research and completed his doctoral degree while simultaneously enrolled at SUNY Buffalo Law School, where he graduated with honors and was also a co-founding editor of the Buffalo Intellectual Property Law Journal. His research has been published in peer-reviewed scientific journals and has been cited more than 100 times by other scientists.
John assists a wide variety of clients with intellectual property needs, including large, publicly traded companies and smaller, privately held corporations. He especially enjoys working with university technology transfer offices and their faculty, and is an active member of the Association of University Technology Managers (AUTM), where he serves on the Eastern Regional Meeting planning committee. He has been a panelist and moderator for AUTM annual and regional meeting sessions. John practices in the firm’s Buffalo and New York City offices, and provides patent services from its Silver Spring, Maryland, office.* He is admitted in New York and to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
*Not admitted in Maryland.
- Listed, 2013 Upstate New York Super Lawyers Rising Stars
- Double Patenting – Why a University Technology Transfer Office Should CareBaltimore, Maryland, May 9, 2016
- 2015 Association of University Technology Managers (AUTM) Annual Meeting Panel: Managing Outside Patent Counsel More Effectively, Efficiently, and EconomicallyNew Orleans, LA, February 25, 2015
- Baltimore, MD, September 18 & 19, 2014
- Hershey, PA, April 30, 2014
- Buffalo, NY, July 15, 2013
- New York, NY, October 24, 2012
- Las Vegas, NV, February 2011
- Buffalo, NY, June 24, 2009
- Buffalo, NY, June 2008
- Intellectual Property & Technology Alert, December 30, 2014
- The Impact of Recent Patent Law Cases and Developments: Leading Lawyers on Analyzing Key Decisions, Updating Client Strategies, and Understanding the Effects of Patent Reform (Inside the Minds)Aspatore, a division of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, 2012
John is an active member of the Association of University Technology Managers (AUTM). He is a member of AUTM’s Eastern Regional Meeting Planning Committee and is the co-chair of sponsorship for the 2014 meeting.
Community & Pro Bono
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Western and Central New York Chapter board of trustees