Areas of Practice
- New York
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
B.S., magna cum laude, University at Buffalo School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, State University of New York
J.D., magna cum laude, SUNY Buffalo Law School
Jordan concentrates his practice in two areas: intellectual property law and startups. He prepares and prosecutes patent applications in the computer, software, electrical, and electro-mechanical arts. He also handles post-grant patent matters (such as inter partes reexamination and review). Additionally, Jordan conducts comprehensive pre-litigation patent analyses, particularly those involving software systems. Jordan enjoys working with startups and the myriad issues they face, including licensing, corporate organization, financing, intellectual property, and compliance.
Before and during law school, Jordan was a computer engineer at a Fortune 100 semiconductor technology company, where he developed carrier-grade telecommunications equipment, established an enterprise engineering-management system, and assisted in-house counsel to strengthen and diversify the company's global patent portfolio.
As an experienced computer engineer, Jordan is intimately familiar with software, open source, cloud computing, and social media issues. He prepares licenses and technology transfer agreements for clients looking to acquire or leverage their technology. He also prepares software-as-a-service agreements and related contracts for technology companies.
Jordan is a Buffalo Business First 2014 30 Under Thirty honoree, and he led two first-place teams at Startup Weekend Buffalo in 2013. During law school, Jordan was executive publications editor at the Buffalo Intellectual Property Law Journal. As a member of the SUNY Buffalo Mock Trial Team, he received mock trial awards during competitions at Yale University, Cornell University, University at Buffalo, and University of Rhode Island.
Jordan represents technology startups in the United States and internationally. He also works with established companies on a variety of computer and intellectual property matters. To date, he has helped prosecute more than 100 patent applications.
- Law360, June 19, 2014
- "Startup Businesses Take Flight"Buffalo Business First, October 18, 2013
- "Startup Companies Look for a Pat on the Back and Money to Run"Buffalo Business First, March 15, 2013
- Bar Association of Erie County Seminar: Hackers, Breaches, and Spies: Privacy and Security in the Digital AgeBuffalo, NY, April 11, 2014
- Ignite Buffalo: Optimizing Software PatentsBuffalo, NY, September 19, 2013
- Bar Association of Erie County Seminar: Death, Divorce, and Digital AssetsBuffalo, NY, March 20, 2013
- University at Buffalo IEEE Seminar: Intellectual Property and the Effect of Infringement on the Global EconomyBuffalo, NY, October 7, 2010
- Lawyers Weekly, October 3, 2014
- Lawyers Weekly, July 11, 2014
- JD Supra, March 31, 2014
- JD Supra, March 6, 2014
- Hodgson Russ Alert, December 3, 2013
- October 2, 2013
- Intellectual Property Alert, March 11, 2013
- Lawyers Weekly, October 1, 2012
- Intellectual Property & Technology Alert, August 8, 2012
- Intellectual Property & Technology, November 4, 2011
- Intellectual Property & Technology Alert, September 21, 2011
- "Blocking Advertisement Blocking: The War Over Internet Advertising and the Effect on Intellectual Property"Intellectual Property & Technology Law Journal, January 2011
- "Data Breach Reporting: When U.S. Laws Apply to Canadian Companies," March 26, 2013
- Product Development and Management Association (PDMA) - Buffalo-Niagara Chapter board of directors
- President, Niagara Frontier Intellectual Property Law Association
- Co-chair, Bar Association of Erie County Intellectual Property Committee
Community & Pro Bono
- Willowbank Foundation USA board of directors
- Instructor, Girl Develop It - Buffalo
- BootSector board of directors
- Buffalo Niagara 360