Areas of Practice
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
B.A., with honors, Hamilton College
J.D., Boston University School of Law
Joe has practiced exclusively in the areas of industrial development agency finance, public authority finance, and municipal and school district finance since graduating from law school in 1983.
Joe has acted as issuer's counsel, bond counsel, and underwriter's counsel on a variety of industrial development agency and public authority projects. Examples of industrial development agency projects handled by Joe include commercial, solid waste, manufacturing, co-generation, nonprofit, and recreational projects. Examples of public authority projects handled by Joe include housing projects, electrical distribution, hydro-electric, parking, water and sewer systems, airport, and residential mortgage projects.
In connection with municipal and school district finance, Joe has acted as bond counsel and underwriter’s counsel.
Over the past five years, Joe has been involved in the development and structuring of a number of capital projects with emphasis on creating a regional approach to the financing structure and on connecting public and private entities (i.e., private/public partnerships) to provide a regional public/private solution. Each situation has required an understanding of benefits and limitations of public finance under New York State law and the federal tax law, together with an awareness of what the private sector and private capital markets can provide.
Examples of techniques that Joe has used to address these situations include the creation of local development corporations, adoption of local laws or special legislation, preparation of inter-municipal cooperation agreements, and use of industrial development agencies.
Projects that have benefited from these techniques include industrial parks, incubator buildings, infrastructure projects, and a variety of large manufacturing and distribution facilities.
- Listed, Best Lawyers in America (Public Finance Law)
The following representative matters demonstrate capital projects handled by Joe and his fellow Hodgson Russ attorneys. Each matter presented financing challenges that required innovative and creative legal strategies.
- Analysis of the Preliminary and Official Statements for a $20 Million Charter School Bond Issuance
- Authority Revenue Bond Financings
- Creation of Local Development Corporations to Provide for Nonprofit Tax-Exempt Financing
- Financing Nonprofit and Private Office Buildings
- Financing of $200 Million Nanoscience Office Building
- IDA Representation in $50 Million Manufacturing Facility Relocation
- Industrial Development Agency Downtown Incubator Project
- Public Nursing Home Restructurings
- Regional Approach to Financing/Addressing Combined Sewer Outflow Issues
- Representation of IDA in Issuance of $7 Million in Revenue Bonds to Finance Development of Technology Park
- Sale of Governmental Projects – Change in Use
- Siting and PILOT Agreement for $120 Million Manufacturing Facility
- News Release, August 18, 2016
- The Street, January 7, 2016
- Fifty-Five Hodgson Russ Attorneys Named to Best Lawyers 2016, Five Honored as Buffalo 'Lawyers of the Year'Press Release, August 17, 2015
- Hurley's Saloon (Please note the new location), 232 W 48th St, New York, NY 10036, February 19, 2017
- Hilton Garden Inn, 30 Clifton Country Road, Clifton Park, NY, September 27, 2016
- Municipal Law Seminar: IRS and SecuritiesClifton Park, NY, June 9, 2015
- Saratoga Springs, NY, May 7, 2015
- NYS Department of Tax and Finance Issues Technical Memorandum - Sales Tax Reporting and Recordkeeping Requirements for IDAsHodgson Russ Alert, February 12, 2014
- Hodgson Russ Alert, January 29, 2014
- Update on Initial Filing Requirement and Annual Recapture Report Requirement Contained in the 2013 New York State Budget LegislationJD Supra, January 29, 2014
- JD Supra, January 29, 2014
- Talk of the Towns, a publication of the Association of Towns of the State of New York, September/October 2008
- Municipal Alert, May 19, 2006
- An Introduction to Industrial Development Agencies in New York StatePrepared for a seminar on IDA finance presented by the Ulster County Industrial Development Agency, May 20, 2003
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- New York State Economic Development Council
- New York State Bar Association Municipal Law and Tax Sections
- Co-chair, New York State Bar Association Municipal Law Section Legislation Committee
- New York State Bar Association Municipal Law Section Executive Committee
- New York State Government Finance Officers Association
- New York State Association of School Business Officials
- Panelist, Annual Bond Attorneys Workshop, sponsored by the National Association of Bond Lawyers
Community & Pro Bono
- Co-chair, Parks & Trails New York board of directors