Areas of Practice
- New York
- U.S. District Courts for the Southern, Northern, and Western Districts of New York
- U.S. Bankruptcy Courts for the Southern, Northern, and Western Districts of New York
B.A., Colgate University
M.A., Economics, University at Buffalo, State University of New York
J.D., summa cum laude, SUNY Buffalo Law School
Michael represents companies, developers, landlords, tenants, financial institutions, municipalities, and nonprofit organizations in a wide range of commercial real estate matters, including acquisition, development, financing, leasing, and construction matters.
In connection with his commercial real estate practice, Michael has also counseled clients on:
- Acquisition and financing of multi-family housing, including large portfolio transactions.
- Construction law matters, regularly representing owners and developers in construction and design contract negotiations.
- State and local tax incentive programs, including with industrial development agencies.
- Telecommunication leasing, with a focus on representing tenants.
- Large-scale energy projects.
- Municipal real property transactions.
- Real property tax exemptions for not-for-profit corporations.
Michael also has experience representing corporate trustees on the closing of complex bond transactions.
In addition, Michael has experience in bankruptcy matters, loan workouts, and restructurings, with a focus on representing lenders, trustees, special servicers, and other financial institutions.
Prior to joining Hodgson Russ, Michael was an associate at a national law firm. Before attending law school, he was a bank officer and senior auditor with a major financial institution operating in upstate New York and northeastern Pennsylvania.
- Former publications editor, Buffalo Law Review
- Listed, Upstate New York Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2016
- $226.6 million CMBS Mortgage and Mezzanine Debt for Multistate Hotel Portfolio
- 75-Turbine, 112.5 MW Wind Energy Project in Western New York
- Acquisition of School Campus on Behalf of School District Client
- Representation of Client in the Restructuring and Closure of a Paper Mill
- Representation of Lumber Company in Multiple Acquisitions Per Year
- Sixty-three Hodgson Russ Attorneys Named to 2016 Upstate New York Super Lawyers, Hugh Russ Listed Among Top 50Press Release, August 31, 2016
- Buffalo Business First, March 11, 2016
- Press Release, December 30, 2014
- May 30, 2013
- May 9, 2013
- March 11, 2010
- Commercial Lease Law: Premises Liability & Allocation of RiskNovember 17, 2016
- Disruptive Technologies? The Use of Crowdfunding, Peer Lending and Online Portals in Real Estate and Finance TransactionsUrban Land Institute WNY, July 20, 2016
- M&A Trends: What You Need to Know When Negotiating and Drafting Commercial LeasesOctober 28, 2015
- July 16, 2015
- Buffalo Business First, March 11, 2016
- Talk of the Towns, March 2015
- Cleantech Alert, February 13, 2015
- Commercial Real Estate Development, Winter 2014
- American Banker, June 16, 2014
- Benefitting From PMSI in Inventory...Understanding the Complexities Is KeyABF Journal, April 2014
- State Tax Notes, March 31, 2014
- Eminent Domain as an Alternative Means of Addressing Underwater Mortgages and the Foreclosure Crisis: Is it a Viable Tool or an Invitation to Litigation?Talk of the Towns, October 2013
- Intercreditor Agreements Face Bankruptcy Court Scrutiny - A Cautionary TalePratt's Journal of Bankruptcy Law, May/June 2012
- Getting the Gist of GITLaw360, June 16, 2011
- U.S. Chapter 15 Judge's Denial of Worldwide Extension of Automatic Stay - Analysis of the In re JSC BTA Bank Decision and Its Impact on the Scope of the Automatic Stay Under Chapter 15Insolvency News, a publication of the Ontario Bar Association , October 2010
- U.S. Chapter 15 Judge's Application of Principles of Comity Provide a Basis for Enforcement of Canadian Orders within the United States - Analysis of In re Metcalfe & Mansfield Alternative InvestmentsInsolvency News, a publication of the Ontario Bar Association , May 2010
- Bankruptcy, Restructuring & Commercial Litigation Alert, March 19, 2010
- U.S. Bankruptcy Law Update: General Growth - A Model for Secured Debt Restructuring and Preservation of Equity in Real Estate Investment TrustsInsolvency News, a publication of the Ontario Bar Association , January 2010
- Western New York Commercial Association of Realtors
- Bar Association of Erie County
Community & Pro Bono
- President, United Church Manor Housing Development Fund Company, Inc. board of directors