Areas of Practice
- New York
- Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
B.S., chemistry, Canisius College
Ph.D., chemistry, University at Buffalo, State University of New York
J.D., magna cum laude, SUNY Buffalo Law School
Paul practices in all areas of intellectual property (IP), with particular emphasis on patentability evaluations, patent prosecution, post-grant challenges, and related opinion work in the chemical area and licensing. He works closely with clients to identify protectable IP and provides practical advice to clients on protection of their IP and building and management of global IP portfolios. His areas of focus include inorganic materials, nanomaterials, inorganic/organic polymers, organometallic/coordination compounds, catalysts, biomaterials, biosensing technologies, pharmaceuticals (including small molecules and delivery methods), chemical processes, analytical methods, and food chemistry.
Prior to law school, Paul worked as a researcher in the Department of Chemical Engineering at the Georgia Institute of Technology, concentrating on polymers and materials for advanced microelectronics applications. He also worked as a chemist/process engineer for an international manufacturer of specialty chemicals and materials. Paul is an inventor of eight granted U.S. patents.
- Listed, Upstate New York Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2013 - 2016
- American Bar Association and Bureau of National Affairs Award for Excellence in Intellectual Property
- Former associate editor, Buffalo Intellectual Property Law Journal
Paul has extensive experience in evaluations of relevant intellectual property and preparing freedom-to-operate opinions. He has also worked with many clients in the chemical and life sciences areas on identifying and protecting IP. He does this through regular meetings with clients, ensuring evaluations are made at early stages of technology development, and strategies for protection are designed to best suit the particular technology.
- Sixty-three Hodgson Russ Attorneys Named to 2016 Upstate New York Super Lawyers, Hugh Russ Listed Among Top 50Press Release, August 31, 2016
- Press Release, January 11, 2016
- Sixty-Four Hodgson Russ Attorneys Named to 2015 Upstate New York Super Lawyers, Hugh Russ Listed Among Top 50Press Release, August 19, 2015
- Press Release, August 14, 2014
- August 28, 2013
- March 25, 2008
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
Community & Pro Bono
Paul is a member of the Buffalo Museum of Science board of managers