Areas of Practice
- New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York
- U.S. Tax Court
B.S., Canisius College
J.D., University of North Dakota School of Law
Program for Senior Managers in Government, Harvard University John F. Kennedy School of Government
Sal, who leads the firm's Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) Practice, focuses his practice on alternative dispute resolution and business litigation.
Prior to joining Hodgson Russ, Sal served for approximately 13 years on the New York State Supreme Court bench. He also served as assistant secretary of the U.S. Department of Treasury under Presidents Reagan and Bush, assistant secretary of the U.S. Labor Department under President Reagan, and U.S. attorney for the Western District of New York.
Earlier in his career, Sal was in private practice for more than 20 years. He concentrated his practice on banking law, regulatory issues, and white-collar criminal defense, and was a commissioner of the New York State Commission of Investigation for 10 years. Sal also served briefly as acting director of the Office of Thrift Supervision at the height of the savings and loan crisis.
- Ellis Island Medal of Honor
- Alexander Hamilton Award (award of highest distinction given by the Secretary of the Treasury)
- Named Buffalo News “Outstanding Citizen”
- Canisius College Distinguished Alumni Award
- State University College at Buffalo Criminal Justice Alumni - Outstanding Achievement
- LaSalle Medal, Canisius College Outstanding Alumni
- Member, Governor Hugh L. Carey's Executive Advisory Commission on the Administration of Justice
- Buffalo Law Journal, September 9, 2013
- August 28, 2013
- CQ Weekly, February 25, 2013
- "Wild Bill" Donovan and the Path to O.S.S. and the C.I.A.October & November 2013
- Personal Freedom and National Security Post 9/11April & June 2013
- Hodgson Russ Publication, April 24, 2014
- Albany Law Review, 2013
- National Association of Former United States Attorneys
- American Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Bar Association of Erie County
Community & Pro Bono
Sal is a member of the Roswell Park Cancer Institute board of directors and the Legal Aid Bureau of Buffalo board of directors. He is a former member of Western New York Broadcasting Association’s board of trustees, the Buffalo and Erie County Public Library board of directors, and the Chautauqua Institution board of trustees. He also served on the board of trustees and board of directors at Canisius College and as president of its alumni association.