Areas of Practice
- New York
B.A.Sc., summa cum laude, McMaster University
M.A., McMaster University
J.D., University of Toronto, Faculty of Law
Timothy’s practice focuses on cross-border securities and financing transactions.
Prior to joining Hodgson Russ, Timothy was an associate at Latham & Watkins in New York City, where he represented issuers and underwriters in both public and private capital markets transactions, including high yield debt and cross-border, multijurisdictional transactions. He has also acquired substantial experience in advising public companies and Canadian foreign private issuers on their reporting obligations under U.S. securities laws. During his time in New York, Timothy also completed a six-month secondment at Barclays, where he provided legal support to the bank's leveraged finance practice with a particular focus on credit agreements, bank/bridge commitment letters, and syndicated loan documents.
Timothy speaks Cantonese and Mandarin Chinese.
- September 11, 2014
- Canada-U.S. Cross-Border Alert, January 26, 2015
Timothy contributes to Hodgson Russ's cross-border blog, Smarter Way to Cross. His entries include:
- Foreigners Get Special Treatment: SEC Updates Guidance to Foreign Private Issuers
JANUARY 3, 2017
- Finders May Not Be Keepers: Traps for the Unwary in Awarding Transaction-Based Compensation
OCTOBER 25, 2016
- Proposed SEC Rules Modernize Mining Disclosures Using Canadian Rules as the Gold Standard
JULY 7, 2016
- Iran Sanctions Eased, But Restrictions Remain
FEBRUARY 26, 2016
- ‘Excuse Me, While I Kiss the [Blue] Sky’: Common State Securities Law Considerations Applicable to U.S. Private Offerings by Canadian Issuers
DECEMBER 15, 2015
- New and Improved Reggae: SEC Adopts Regulation “A+”
JUNE 10, 2015
- Structuring a Cross-Border Securities Offering: Common U.S. Exemptions from Registration
JANUARY 28, 2015
Community & Pro Bono
Timothy has undertaken several pro bono representations, including asylum, immigration and housing discrimination cases.