Areas of Practice
- New York
B.A., honors, with distinction, Queen's University
J.D., with honors, University of Toronto, Faculty of Law
M.P.A., New York University
Valerie has extensive experience advising businesses in manufacturing, financial services and other sectors on corporate matters, including subsidiary formation, corporate governance, and reorganizations.
On a daily basis, she advises clients on all aspects of their procurement and supply operations. She regularly prepares and negotiates sales representative and consulting agreements, as well as purchase, supply, service, distribution and other similar agreements with suppliers and customers. In addition, she works to help clients avoid litigation through negotiated resolutions of commercial disputes as well as product warranty and other product liability claims.
Valerie regularly works with all types of businesses in connection with transformative transactions, including acquisitions, mergers, and divestitures.
In addition, Valerie counsels clients on various nonprofit law matters, including the formation of nonprofit organizations, obtaining and maintaining tax-exempt status, IRS Form 990, cross border charitable matters and "friends" organizations, joint ventures, and subsidiaries.
In addition to her nonprofit sector experience at Hodgson Russ, Valerie served as a program officer at Morgan Stanley Foundation in New York.
- Former associate editor, Wagner Review
- Martin L. Friedland Prize for best student article and Cassels Brock & Blackwell Prize for best article in the issue award, University of Toronto Faculty of Law Review, 2006
- Associate editor, University of Toronto Faculty of Law Review, 2005
- Avoiding (and Surviving!) Contract Disputes – Common Pitfalls of Contract Drafting That Land You in Court.Buffalo, NY, February 11, 2016
- Relief in Sight for New York Nonprofits with Prospect of Additional Amendments to the Nonprofit Revitalization Act of 2013Tax-Exempt Organizations Alert, July 28, 2016
- Corporate & Business Law Alert, January 22, 2016
- Tax-Exempt Organizations Alert, December 15, 2015
- New York Nonprofit Revitalization Act of 2013 to Have Significant Impact on State's Nonprofit CorporationsJD Supra, February 24, 2014
- The Political Economy of Anti-Dumping in Canada: Section 45 of the Special Import Measures ActUniversity of Toronto Faculty of Law Review, 2006
Community & Pro Bono
- Brick by Brick Partners board of directors
- Young Leaders Breakfast Club
- Philanthropy New York