Hodgson Russ has extensive experience representing corporate entities and their officers, directors, and employees in the investigation and defense of charges indicated by state and federal enforcement and regulatory authorities in virtually all critical substantive areas. The firm’s approach is multidisciplinary, and our business crimes, regulatory offenses, and corporate investigations team includes not only experienced white-collar criminal attorneys and former federal and state prosecutors, but also attorneys with experience in commercial transactions, public companies, health care, taxation, environmental law, government procurement contracting, and corporate governance.
Our attorneys have extensive experience representing clients in a wide variety of federal and state criminal proceedings, including health care fraud, money laundering and structuring, tax charges, price fixing, mail and wire fraud, securities fraud, financial services, environmental offenses, and antitrust. And we have extensive experience at all stages: investigation, trial, and appeal. We have successfully represented clients in high-profile cases across the country.
Hodgson Russ attorneys are actively involved in substantive areas that are currently the focus of government enforcement initiatives, both criminal and civil. For example, we have substantial experience in the area of health care fraud and abuse, including under the Medicare and Medicaid programs. We have represented large hospital systems, nursing homes, physician practices, home health agencies, and medical device companies in a variety of criminal and regulatory investigations. We defend doctors accused of over-prescribing and over-charging.
Similarly, firm lawyers have represented public companies, private companies, individual officers and directors, and accounting professionals in a variety of corporate fraud investigations, including those brought by the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Department of Justice, and the New York State Attorney General’s Office and district attorneys’ offices.
The firm’s representation of a number of government contractors has resulted in substantial experience with various federal contracting and procurement regulations, including TINA, ITAR, and the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. We provide guidance and representation on OFAC matters.
Our business crimes, regulatory offenses, and corporate investigations team has counseled clients and made presentations to other attorneys and professionals regarding the provisions of the Patriot Act, bank secrecy laws, state and federal False Claims Act matters, and effective record retention and document production issues under electronic discovery mandates.
Our attorneys have experience in civil and criminal forfeiture matters for both claimants and affected third parties.
Hodgson Russ attorneys have also been called on to develop and direct internal corporate investigations resulting from inquiries by enforcement and regulatory authorities. The firm regularly advises its corporate clients about the benefits of self-disclosure to regulatory authorities and the consideration of employee, marketplace, and investor issues.
The experience of the group’s attorneys is supplemented by its access to forensic experts who have experience in, for example, data collection and analysis, complex accounting rules, and damage analysis. The firm’s internal information technology knowledge and sophisticated document-handling experience is also a valuable resource available to our clients.
- Accounting Overstatement Investigation & Public Disclosure
- Acquittal for Contractor Accused of Perjury in Bronx Supreme Court
- Customized Financial Institution Compliance Program
- Representation of a Company and Its Owner in a Federal Major Fraud Investigation Related to Federal Set-Aside Contracting. Secured Dismissal of All Charges Dismissed by Pre-Trial Diversion Agreement. The Company Was Not Charged.
- Representation of Client Charged with Federal False Statement Offenses. After Defense Investigation, Notification of Defenses and Preparation for Trial, Won Dismissal of All Charges by the Government.
- Southern District of New York Dismisses Indictment Against Hodgson Russ Client
- Government and Internal Investigations’ New Focus on Individual Accountability for Corporate WrongdoingHilton Albany, 40 Lodge St., Albany, NY, June 28, 2016
- Current Trends and Practices in Mitigating FCPA Risks and Threats in Global Private Equity VenturesFebruary 2, 2016
- New York Law Journal, April 25, 2016
- “White Collar Corner: What to Do When Litigating an OSHA Citation”The Daily Record, February 2012
- “White Collar Corner: Surprise OSHA inspections: Prepare for the Unexpected”The Daily Record, December 2011
- “Expert Witness Evaluation: Strategic Uses of Online Information”The Corporate Counselor®, November 2011