Attorneys in Hodgson Russ’s Immigration Practice are skilled in handling a broad range of immigration issues for businesses and individuals. Our more than 25 years of experience in the field of immigration law includes representing large, multinational companies, as well as in assisting U.S. citizens and permanent resident aliens to reunite with their families.
In the business context, Hodgson Russ represents employers in connection with the temporary employment of professionals and intra-company transfers; the periodic entry of business visitors; and the permanent employment of foreign workers. We maintain great familiarity with all applicable agencies and their practices and procedures through regular interaction with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services’ four regional service centers, U.S. Customs and Border Protection at the Fort Erie/Buffalo border crossing, and U.S. Consular offices around the world. Our attorneys have substantial experience filing a broad range of petitions and applications for non-immigrant and immigrant visas with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, including the H-1B, L-1, E-1/E-2, O-1, P-1, TN and EB-1/2/3 petitions, among others.
Hodgson Russ has been awarded a prestigious “Best Law Firms” Metropolitan Tier 1 ranking by Best Lawyers/U.S. News & World Report in the Immigration Law category.
In addition to those noted above, our immigration law services include:
- Representing hospitals as well as foreign nurses and physicians entering the United States to pursue graduate medical education or clinical practice
- Representing foreign scientists and researchers
- Representing Canadian professionals seeking to work under the immigration provisions of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA)
- Representing foreign corporations of all sizes expanding or relocating to the United States
- Representing foreign entrepreneurs and investors
- Representing foreign athletes and entertainers entering the United States for professional work, events, and performances
- Advising individual foreign nationals and foreign diplomats with respect to a wide range of immigration issues, including family-based immigration sponsorship
- Counseling U.S. employers on all aspects of employment eligibility and verification and related unlawful discrimination practices
Hodgson Russ immigration clients also rely on the resources of the firm for matters relating to international tax planning, business reorganization or restructuring, intellectual property, real estate, and international business expansion into the United States.
Licensed Foreign Legal Consultants in Ontario
- IRS Voluntary Disclosure Assistance for Canadian Client
- Reissuance of Criminal Waivers of Inadmissability
- Representation of Canadian Client Charged with Federal Felony Immigration Offense. Matter Resolved with Plea to False Statement Charge and Client Sentenced to Time Served.
- Representation of Canadian Client Charged with Felony Immigration and False Statement Offenses. Matter Resolved by Plea to a Misdemeanor and Unsupervised Probation.
- Representation of Client Charged with Federal Criminal Immigration Violations. Won Acquittal at Trial.
- The Globe and Mail, November 20, 2015
- Hodgson Russ Earns Five National-Level Rankings in U.S. News & World Report/Best Lawyers 'Best Law Firms' ReportPress Release, November 18, 2015
- Buffalo Law Journal, August 24, 2015
- November 17, 2011
- October 17, 2011
- January 4, 2011
- September 16, 2010
- Buffalo Law Journal, December 8, 2008
- September 5, 2008
- Barriers to Cross-Border Labor Mobility for Professionals Doing Business in Canada and the United StatesNew York, NY, October 10, 2013
- Toronto, ON, May 10, 2012
- Buffalo, NY, June 9, 2010
- Lawyers Weekly, May 23, 2014
- Lawyers Weekly, May 17, 2013
- Labor & Employment Alert, May 3, 2013
- Immigration Alert, May 1, 2013
- Immigration Alert, January 11, 2013
- Buffalo Law Journal, October 29, 2012
- Immigration Alert, June 28, 2012
- Crossing the Line, January 2012
- Immigration Alert, February 7, 2011
- Immigration Alert, November 22, 2010
- Immigration Alert, November 22, 2010
- Lawyers Weekly, October 22, 2010
- Lawyers Weekly, March 19, 2010
- January 22, 2010
- Immigration Alert, December 21, 2009
- Ontario Bar Association Citizenship & Immigration Newsletter, August 2009
- Citizenship and Immigration, April 2009
- September 9, 2008
- April 1, 2008
- Citizenship and Immigration, February 2008
- Labor & Employment Alert, November 28, 2007
- Boca Raton News, October 9, 2006