Hodgson Russ’s wage and hour attorneys have extensive experience representing and advising employers in a wide range of industries. We frequently assist employers in the banking, construction, health and home care, manufacturing, trucking, and hospitality industries with overtime, minimum wage, wage deduction, misclassification, off-the-clock, and independent contractor-related wage and hour issues. Our attorneys have thorough understandings of the unique rules and compliance issues in each of these industries. We are adept at identifying wage and hour issues before they become claims and in assisting businesses in developing compensation arrangements that satisfy business objectives and minimize risk, bringing a practical approach to these matters and delivering cost-effective solutions that make business sense.
Wage and Hour Compliance
Our wage and hour attorneys assist clients in developing effective and defensible compensation arrangements. We regularly conduct internal audits to identify risks and offer sound and practical advice to mitigate those risks. We assist clients in developing effective compensation plans for salespersons and crafting effective and compliant employment policies and practices. We have experience with virtually every type of wage scenario and assist our clients in identifying issues before they become problems. We are skilled in creating opinion letters that can be important in developing defenses to our clients in connection with certain claims. Our multidisciplinary approach to these situations allows us to develop solutions to wage and hour issues that are practical from an employee benefit, tax, and corporate perspective and that also make good business sense.
In the event litigation arises, our attorneys have successfully represented clients in both individual and class and collective-action claims. We understand the intricacies and issues that arise at every level in these cases, from initial certification through defense on the merits. Our attorneys are skilled in developing cost-effective litigation strategies to resolve cases early when beneficial to our client and in aggressively defending claims when it is not.
Hodgson Russ’s wage and hour attorneys regularly represent clients in connection with federal and state administrative audits. We have successfully handled administrative claims involving individual workers as well as audits involving many thousands of workers. We have strong working relationships with many federal and state labor auditors and investigators and extensive familiarity with the administrative process to best position our clients to obtain favorable outcomes.
- Buffalo Business First, August 25, 2015
- Biz TV Canada, September 2012
- Buffalo/Niagara Marriott, 1340 Millersport Highway, Amherst, NY, November 5, 2015
- New York State Society for Human Resource Management Conference: Charting the Way - Understanding the Ever-Evolving Employee Compensation RulesVerona, NY, September 20, 2015
- Federal Judge Rules that Home Care Agency Was Not Required to Pay Aides Overtime at One and One-Half Times the Regular Rate While the Home Care Final Rule Was VacatedWage & Hour Alert, December 29, 2015
- Wage & Hour Alert, December 3, 2015
- Wage & Hour Alert, November 13, 2015
- Labor Law Section Expanding Right of Employers to Make Deductions From Employees’ Wages Has Been Extended for Another Three YearsLabor & Employment Alert, November 5, 2015
- Wage & Hour Alert, September 28, 2015
- Wage & Hour Alert, September 16, 2015
- Wage & Hour Alert, September 15, 2015
- Wage & Hour Alert, August 28, 2015
- Labor & Employment Alert, July 15, 2015
- Labor & Employment Alert, July 14, 2015
- Back to Where We Started: Federal Court Vacates U.S. Department of Labor Companionship Exemption RuleLabor & Employment Alert, January 15, 2015
- Labor & Employment Alert, January 8, 2015
- Labor & Employment Alert, January 2, 2015
- What Does the Decision in Home Care Association of America v. Weil Mean for Home Care Employers in New York?Labor & Employment Alert, December 24, 2014
- Health Law Journal, November 19, 2012
- Health Alert, June 1, 2011
- Labor & Employment Alert, September 23, 2009