Hodgson Russ’s land use and economic development practice is among the most experienced in New York State. Our attorneys represent industrial, commercial, and residential developments, working in numerous jurisdictions and with all related agencies to secure approval of development requests. We assist in obtaining appropriate land use permits and approvals needed to develop real property, ensuring compliance with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.
We assist with a wide range of projects that vary in size and complexity for corporations, financial and educational institutions, nonprofit entities, and commercial and residential developers. Our attorneys handle all aspects of site development, including zoning variances, special permitting, tax abatements, and economic development initiatives. Our attorneys also provide strategic counsel related to purchase and financing of undeveloped land, transfer of development rights, and planning for future expansion.
Hodgson Russ represents clients in litigation when disputes arise in land use cases, including frequently representing local governments and municipalities in complex, often controversial, land use matters that often involve litigation. We appear on behalf of clients before planning commissions, city councils, and county boards at the local level as well as represent clients in appeals before administrative bodies and the courts.
- Article 78 Proceedings Challenging Municipal Approvals and a Municipal Denial for a Warehousing Facility
- Defended Municipal Board Action against Claims of Pre-judgment Bias
- Defense of a Challenge to a ZBA’s Determination to Grant a Use Variance
- Defense of a Planning Board’s Denial of an Extension of Permits for a Large-scale Wind Project
- Litigation Challenging Approvals of a Hotel Development
- Successful Challenge to a Negative Declaration for a Large-scale Casino Development